Metered Words

It all started with a poem's analysis. A 12 liner, on racism. We were asked by our English teacher to describe the art in our words - of what our takeaways were. I remember vividly, how passionately I wrote my homework. The next day we were supposed to read out our write-ups. Standard 8th, this was; 2008. Students read their creations proudly. It was refreshing to see how the same poem had each kid's imagination uniquely construed. The teacher called out names randomly, and now it happened to be mine.

Excited when I heard my name called, I got up in hurried elation. Though, when I started to read out, my voice was equally composed and strong. Like the poet's. His angst was now mine, his agony now founded a companion in me, and his dreams and mine were now in the same frequency. Seemed, I were one with the poem. It was not about rhetoric, it surely was about how I were now the author. Author of the analysis about a man voicing his strength in adversary, about a tin can which shattered in the brutal storm of racism and about a human speaking of his basic rights.

While I wrote the homework, his words threw at me with pungency. I was deeply moved how 12 lines can pierce through a heart. Importance of words, I understood. Selection of words, I understood. But more than anything else, being basic and sharp, I understood. The cathartic words proved more than being one. They tore asunder. And I verbally delivered my write-up with almost the same anguish and tenacity.

The teacher sensed my feelings and praised me, then. Like the poet's demands had been desperately paid heed to. She recognized my skills.
This teacher's day, I pay my respect to Ms. Sampurna Satpathy for making me realize how vital words are, in every sense. Be it written or spoken, they have tremendous power to make seismic shifts in attitude and perceptions. They are not just letters put together, but letters put together that make incredibly empowering narratives. 
Let's choose to heal the world, by choosing the right words.

Happy Teacher's Day!

Comments

  1. My little Aditi, I am overwhelmed by this gesture. Once again you have expressed yourself with the same intense and ease that you did on the day you were asked to read the summary to the class. Impeccable writing I must admit. You definitely have a great career awaiting you.
    This probably is the best gift I have received in my teaching career.wish you greater success....my blessings, sampurna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am overjoyed by your words, ma'am! Thanks for shaping us the way you did. Love, Aditi.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts